Hello,

I am looking for someplace where I can learn coloring techniques on vertical concrete. I was on VA 2.0 looking at the core class and I do not see it in there. I would like to be able to replicate the different looks I see on here and places like Flex c ment, I am just starting out and would like to start with stamping and start to "edit" my stamp patterns more and more as time goes by. I cannot find anywhere where i can learn the techniques used in the coloring of the concrete I put up.. if someone can point me in the right direction i would really appreciate it. Thanks 

Views: 271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The are many painting Videos on the Web site in the (Core) section.... they are all in the projects  but the Core with have its own section for painting,  That is being filmed over into HD quality.... 

I cover painting many times though out the course...  But that section is being re done for quality issues.... I will repost older data just so its there....

Nathan, I have subscribed to your online courses and have some questions about painting.  I am just starting out and am getting ready to place an order with Walt Tools for products to do some sample boards.  I am totally confused on what to get for coloring my projects.  I have watched tons of videos so forgive me if I get something confused.  I think you have mentioned stains by Boulder Formations and also Smith Paints and Concrete Earth.  And, of course I see the products on the Walt Tools site.  I am so overwhelmed with all the info I don't know what to use.  And, to complicate things, there are concrete color additives, colored release agents and I have no idea what a color hardener does.   Can you steer me in the right direction?

Nathan Giffin Vertical Artisans said:

The are many painting Videos on the Web site in the (Core) section.... they are all in the projects  but the Core with have its own section for painting,  That is being filmed over into HD quality.... 

I cover painting many times though out the course...  But that section is being re done for quality issues.... I will repost older data just so its there....

Yes Deb.... and it can be quite overwhelming ... but bear with me....

There are many Coloring "Systems" out there...  I am a proponent of most of them as an artist I try not to limit myself.

First There are Stains:

Concrete Earth

Tru-Tint

Butterfield Color

Boulder Formations. ( Not really applicable anymore,  because they don't want to be...)

These are stains.... Translucent..... any and all will work fine depending on your desired look.... I suggest you get some and try them....

Then there are paints.....

Yes you can use Home Center paints.... but Smith Paints is specifically designed for concrete.... AND can match any color ... these products deliver Opacity not translucentcy ....   Now having said that... Smith can be diluted down to BECOME a translucent stain.

Release Agents ... Do color but there primary function is to release the tools and stamps they protect.... when I do use these I almost never use a color outside of white or a shade of white.

Integral colors .... Also color ... I almost never use them....

Deb, Nathan hit it on the head.  There are many options out there.  Some artists stick almost exclusively with one system, others use a plethora of systems based on their experience, comfort level, and knowledge of what works best on that particular job at the time.  Let us not forget one of the biggest reasons is IMPROV. LOL.  When you are out of something, you gotta make do.  That is where the experience comes in.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Nathan Giffin Vertical Artisans.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

free counters