Hello, I have been a mason for 12 years and am now the owner of Steadfast Masonry.  Recently I have attended Stonemaker's Veteran training and was introduced to vertical concrete.  As a experienced mason I know I have only scratched the surface of this world and I've become obsessed with learning more.  Currently, I have incorporated what I have learned into a former customer's home and will be forming trees around the deck support columns.  There is a total of 8 posts at 12' tall with 2 of them continuing above the deck supporting the overhang.  My plan as of now is to decide on one of two ideas. Plan one is to frame up a structure with steel tubing and or rebar, wrapping it with spiderlath and then a scratch coat followed by a final carved/textured coat. Plan two is to mold gfrc panels that I can hang from this structure, fill in the voids, and apply a final texture coat.  I also need to find the best way to create strong, realistic limbs/branches.  Strong enough to possibly hold a hammock but for sure decorations.  Long story short, I want this to be done correct and long, long lasting.  Any advice if I'm in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you all.  

Views: 174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bark Textures can be purchased at www.WaltTools.com

There is a course on www.VerticalArtisans.com with Earl Senchuk on tree building.... 

THere will be in a about a week or so a class on Epoxy 101 with Mike Vernelson Some of the most realistic trees on the planet.

I aslo suggest you look through this site for other trees that have been done to give you a clue as to shapes and size... In your case no matter what, it will be difficult to get a very realistic look if you have them all in a row to follow a footings layout.

You may want to try to place trees in a natural configuration......use steel framing to off set as many trees with more structural branches.  Just a suggestion

Thanks Nate, I will definitely be following up with offered courses.  Would you suggest spiderlath over galvanized or is there much of a difference?  regarding tensile strength

Nathan Giffin Vertical Artisans said:

Bark Textures can be purchased at www.WaltTools.com

There is a course on www.VerticalArtisans.com with Earl Senchuk on tree building.... 

THere will be in a about a week or so a class on Epoxy 101 with Mike Vernelson Some of the most realistic trees on the planet.

I aslo suggest you look through this site for other trees that have been done to give you a clue as to shapes and size... In your case no matter what, it will be difficult to get a very realistic look if you have them all in a row to follow a footings layout.

You may want to try to place trees in a natural configuration......use steel framing to off set as many trees with more structural branches.  Just a suggestion

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Nathan Giffin Vertical Artisans.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

free counters