I have a client that wants vertical work over there painted stucco. Can anybody tell me what is the best way to prepare the stucco to receive the vertical mud?

Views: 382

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm wondering why no one has responded to this question.  I am also in a situation where I want to bid a job doing overlay over and efis exterior.  I have found a product called seamsperfect that SEEMS to be good for priming any kind of surface..but I would like to hear from the pros on this point. 
Over  stucco, I use a primer by Flex-C-Ment.  I haave used Seamsperfect over floors in the past. I don't  know how well it works. I used some for an overlay and when I saw cut lines for a pattern, the overlay chipped off.  The freight from N.Y. to Ca was too much. If the price was less I might use it more.

Thanks Don,

I have spoken to one other man who used seams perfect over a floor in a basement that was covered with glue..instead of grinding it down, he scraped it down and put the seamsperfect down and then overlayed it..it's been three years without a failure.  I took the course with flex c ment before he sold it.  I'm always looking for a good primer and good wall mixes.  Do you use flex c ment for your verticle?..any pros and cons?..any recommendations? 

My opinion on this matter is rip off old and put up a good substrate. You dont know what they used or how old exactly it is. With the weight of vertical along with the stucco already. You could run into problems. With the mesh for stucco might dont be strong enough and could possibly pull off wall. Its a little more work but better safe than sorry. Just my two sense for what its worth.

i'm with dale messenger on this one

i would never trust someone else's prepwork / substrate. especially when you're planning to hang upwards of 2 inches of concrete on a wall. going over painted stucco, your bond is only as strong as the paint is. chances are, if they're planning to cover up that stucco the paint is already peeling. therefore, if you stick concrete to that paint and the paint detaches from the stucco your crete just dropped too. depending on the climate if R value is a factor i would rip off the old, strap the wall and screw with LARGE washers on a layer of SM board. Flex C Ment's primer adheres vertical miix to foam extremely well. This gives you a nice flat, fairly seamless, stable substrate with great drainage behind, while adding a substantial amount of insulation to the house

Since you posted this topic i actually ran into a possible job with the same thing. They have concrete walls that were poured 3 yrs ago and them stucco was applied. Its already cracking and some has chipped off. So I explained to them Like I explained here rip off and put new up. I was thinking about just beating off the loose stuff and doweling in with rebar and creating a grid. But I spoke with Nathan and the best solution is tear down and start over. Because you dont want some ones elses problems to become your own. Well I bid the job lets see what happens.
I am ready to start this job now. I have cut 1x1 test squares  into the stucco to see what the interior of the job looked like. I have a friend that is a architect and home builder. He cam e and looked at what I had opened up, we have decided that the existing stucco structure was done properly and is in great condition. I will be lathing and scratching the existing stucco. I will post pics and updates as I go, thank yo for all your input on this issue.
Keep us informed..how is this job going?  PIctures are always good!
Actually starting that job on Monday, will post the updates, thanks.

Hey Michael...how is the job coming?  got any pics?..any comments?

Hey Michael, I ended up having a buddy that is an architect come over and look at the house. We t into the stucco with a Makita, about 6x6 squares to see what was under neath and the condition. We found it to be structurally sound and in great shape. What i decided to do was to power wash the stucco and put up diamond lathe with 1 and 1/4 TapCons everywhere and use 2 and 1/2 inch screws where the studs were. All and all this took allot of tapcons which are costly as well as time. Looking back, in this situation, I would do the same thing. FYI I use a 4" concrete blade on my Makita to cut the diamond lathe, safe (with safety glasses), clean and fast, blade is on year 2. I am very pleased with the job and more importantly the client is. The job is not completed as weather has stopped me for the time being. Its a big job that was being done by my brother and I in the beginning and now just me. I will post some pics soon, it really transformed the house. All and all it was a savings to do it this way than to remove the stucco, which would have been done if we felt the need.

Michael Berner said:

Hey Michael, I ended up having a buddy that is an architect come over and look at the house. We t into the stucco with a Makita, about 6x6 squares to see what was under neath and the condition. We found it to be structurally sound and in great shape. What i decided to do was to power wash the stucco and put up diamond lathe with 1 and 1/4 TapCons everywhere and use 2 and 1/2 inch screws where the studs were. All and all this took allot of tapcons which are costly as well as time. Looking back, in this situation, I would do the same thing. FYI I use a 4" concrete blade on my Makita to cut the diamond lathe, safe (with safety glasses), clean and fast, blade is on year 2. I am very pleased with the job and more importantly the client is. The job is not completed as weather has stopped me for the time being. Its a big job that was being done by my brother and I in the beginning and now just me. I will post some pics soon, it really transformed the house. All and all it was a savings to do it this way than to remove the stucco, which would have been done if we felt the need.

Thanks for the update michael.  Sounds like quite a job!  Hope you had the money in there for all the tapcons..I know they are very high!  I'm looking forward to seeing the picks asap!  Keep up the good work and share the knowledge! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Nathan Giffin Vertical Artisans.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

free counters