I am the newbie to this site and also to this work. I received my order and am ready to get started on one of my home projects.

My question is what are you vertical artisans using after you paint your work? Is it a sealer of some sort so the paint will not fade or come of the rockwork? Is it the paint itself that has some sort of UV protection?

 

Any help would be appreciated?

Views: 100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

most good stains are weather resistant all by themselves for added protection there are many diff concrete sealers to choose from just be sure to look at the sheen wich is the shineyness of the product. i like a matte or flat look myself as it is more realistic in most cases but again its all up to you!

"paint" or stain can vary widely for longevity and adhesion.  Many pigments may be uv resistant but the sun will always fade color over time regardless of that uv stability, some may just be faster than others.  Stains will also vary in their ability to soak into the surface or cling to the surface in more of a film formation.  The latter will provide more coverage, but it has the tendency to "chip" or peel when it deteriorates.  Penetrating stains(like our WB!!plug, plug) will soak in more so they will not come off. Sealers will do two things.  One, they will help secure the stain to and within that surface when it comes to the elements.  Concrete erodes(especially more porous concrete like vertical) and with it goes the stain.  Sealers slow that erosion AND, secondly,  most will provide added UV protectios, slowing that sun fade even more.

When it comes to the finish, matte or natural finishes are usually desired but there are exceptions based on what that client is looking for.  Hope this helps.

what would you recommend for good penetrating paints

scott dobert said:
most good stains are weather resistant all by themselves for added protection there are many diff concrete sealers to choose from just be sure to look at the sheen wich is the shineyness of the product. i like a matte or flat look myself as it is more realistic in most cases but again its all up to you!
hey donnie, i started with the lighter colors first and finished with the dark colors last to enhance the textured lines. You have to be careful not to make the base coats to dark before you put on the dark finish colors because it will darken the rest of it a bit. I sponged on the dark color and then wiped it off the high side and left the dark colors in the creavaces. You have to do that fairly fast before it soaks in. Just take your time and start on smaller texture to see how the pigment works.  Throw some on a sample board and stamp it and practice on it. That will save you some work in the end.
jeff, thanks for the tips, i was going about it all backwards but you have clarified it all for me. I will take your advice
and use it well.  awesome work you do
jeff kirt said:
hey donnie, i started with the lighter colors first and finished with the dark colors last to enhance the textured lines. You have to be careful not to make the base coats to dark before you put on the dark finish colors because it will darken the rest of it a bit. I sponged on the dark color and then wiped it off the high side and left the dark colors in the creavaces. You have to do that fairly fast before it soaks in. Just take your time and start on smaller texture to see how the pigment works.  Throw some on a sample board and stamp it and practice on it. That will save you some work in the end.
no problem donnie. Good luck and just take your time.

donnie salazar said:
jeff, thanks for the tips, i was going about it all backwards but you have clarified it all for me. I will take your advice
and use it well.  awesome work you do
jeff kirt said:
hey donnie, i started with the lighter colors first and finished with the dark colors last to enhance the textured lines. You have to be careful not to make the base coats to dark before you put on the dark finish colors because it will darken the rest of it a bit. I sponged on the dark color and then wiped it off the high side and left the dark colors in the creavaces. You have to do that fairly fast before it soaks in. Just take your time and start on smaller texture to see how the pigment works.  Throw some on a sample board and stamp it and practice on it. That will save you some work in the end.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2022   Created by Nathan Giffin Vertical Artisans.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

free counters